If you make a purchase via a link on this site, Card Making Circle may receive a small commission on the transaction - at no added cost to you.
Gate fold cards are great looking and simple to make. They can be used for any occasion - just use different sentiments and images!
The basic design opens in the middle like a gate. But there's nothing that says the opening can't be offset on one side.
Two scores on a basic card base will create your base. Add layers of coordinating card or designer paper to each side. Finish with a shaped layer to "open" your "gate".
1. Trim a standard piece of A4 cardstock to 8" wide along the short side.
2. Cut the card in half on the long side at 5 7/8" for two cards
3. With one card use a scoring board to score the long side at 2" and 6"
4. Fold the card in at the score marks to create your basic card base.
6. Cut two rectangles 1 3/4" x 5 5/8" from coordinating card. Glue one to each side of the card.
7. Cut two rectangles 1 1/2" x 5 3/8" from stamped card or designer paper. Glue one to each side of the card.
4. Add a card insert with sentiment to complete the card.
Now try the same idea by cutting your A 4 card the other way to create a card with offset "gates".....
1. Trim your A4 card to 11 1/2" along the long side (this makes the maths easier when dividing the sections!)
2. Cut it in half on the short side side at 4 1/8" to create two cards
3. With one card use a scoring board to score the long side at 3 1/2" and 9 1/4"
4. Fold card in at the score marks to create your basic gate fold card base.
Here are some examples.....Why not try your own?
This card uses designer paper for layer two.
The circles are cut from circle dies - a stitched circle die and a scalloped circle die. Circle punches could be used instead.
The heart image was stamped with clear Versamark ink and embossed with gold embossing power
Finally glitter dots to add that extra sparkle.